Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Writing Method

Do I have the best writing method? I start slowly, scribbling in my Penway Composition Book with blue gel pen. (Yeah, I know that shows my age--actually using handwriting sounds like I have a horse and buggy out back--but what can I say? Pen in hand feels comfy.) I mark my notebook with paper clips so I can find unfinished scribblings--observations or descriptions, crabby musings about myself or some other human being, novel instances, notes for my memoir about my best friend, lists of ideas--whatever. I give myself freedom to write whatever I want. Sometimes notebook-writing sparks me to jump to my computer or Neo--but not always.

Next I attack something on my to-do list, but again I let myself be flexible. I'd planned to work on Lesson 11 of "Rachel and the Cousins: 7th Grade"--but on Saturday my son and I will be visiting J.'s mom and returning J.'s letters--so it would be nice if I finished tweaking "Bestfriend." The last section of "Bestfriend" is hardest, for that's where I need to show how J.'s life has affected me. Just try summing up the meaning of your best friend to you--see what I mean?

Sometimes I post to 100words.com--a new notebook entry or an excerpt from the memoir or my novel. Does 100words.com help my writing, forcing me be more concise? Or is it a diversion, giving me less time for "real" writing projects?

How can I get myself to write better? My people seem cardboard, my descriptions from a universe where nothing can be seen, heard, felt, smelled, or tasted. From past experience, writing more and reading more are the keys. I've just started Dreiser's "American Tragedy"--I hope that helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment