Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Journey Begins

I remember loving living alone. I enjoyed the years from September 1976 to June 1978, then from September1980 to September 1986,until the fiancé who would become my ex-husband moved in. Altogether, a total of eight years, a fractional part of my 54 years. Of course, when my child was little, it sometimes felt like living alone, for he slept during the long stretch of evening hours...
Next year, in August 2010, I'll lose the "roommate" I've had for the past eighteen years as my son goes off to college, and I'll lose the job of full-time mother, changing my status to always-on-call mother. I read a cartoon once where a new mother, holding her crying baby, asks her own mother, in frustration, "When do you stop worrying about them all the time?" Her mother replies, "I'll let you know when I find out." There is that.
So my blog will detail my own personal journey as my son completes high school.
I'm also a struggling writer--key word is struggle. I do get to write for a living for a school, but it's like ghost writing, as our names are never on the final product. I've written three books--a coming-of-age novel, a short memoir about my best friend who died some years ago, and a middle-grade novel. I'm trying to find homes for them, plus work on new material, particularly a sequel to the middle-grade novel. And of course I religiously participate in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) every year!
So this is a launching-pad year, as I get ready to send my son forth to the world of college and work and someday his own family, and as I write and submit stuff to agents and publishers. May my son and my books do well!

No comments:

Post a Comment