Saturday, August 22, 2009

Chapters

I love seeing patterns in life; I just realized that my life neatly divides into 18-year chapters. My first 18 years I spent surviving, mentally and emotionally, life in a dysfunctional home; my next 18 years I fumbled about, trying to find my purpose. Next, I spent 18 years raising my son--and grew up myself.

My son will turn eighteen in less than two months, will go off to college a year from now. My next chapter begins.

I've begun to lay groundwork, earning my MFA in creative writing last year, and networking with writers via NaNoWriMo and the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators. I've signed up at a couple of online dating sites--although I subscribe to the philosophy of the book, "Men Are Just Dessert." After my son leaves, I may join choir again, take violin lessons, attend writing conferences, enroll in more writing classes. I need to launch myself, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment